JTUC Research Institute for Advancement of Living Standards(RENGO-RIALS)
JTUC Rengo Research Institute for Advancement of Living Standards (RENGO-RIALS) started in December 1987 as a think-tank for working people and in 1988 established as an incorporated foundation under the joint jurisdiction of government agencies/ministries: namely, Economic Planning Agency (now Cabinet Office), Ministry of International Trade and Industry (now Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry), Ministry of Health and Welfare and Ministry of Labour (now combined into Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare).
RENGO-RIALS researches wide range of fields in such economy, industry, social services and labour issues to achieve healthy economic growth, stabilization of employment and the improvement of living standards of workers and their families.
Organization & Operations
RENGO-RIALS, started in December, 1987, was established as a foundation in December, 1988, under joint oversight of four government agency/ministries: namely, Economic Planning Agency (now Cabinet Office), Ministry of International Trade and Industry (now Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry), Ministry of Health and Welfare and Ministry of Labour (now combined into Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare). The status continues to this day.
The institute's governing bodies including the Board of Directors and the Council are composed of persons of learning and experience and officers from RENGO Headquarters and RENGO's member organizations. The managing officers and research staff at the institute are loaned from RENGO, its member organizations, and government ministries with oversight responsibilities.
Separate study committees are organized on individual study/research themes: In addition to the research staff within the institute, committee members are selected from among expert researchers in respective fields of study and officers of RENGO and RENGO's member organizations.
Organizational and Operational Structure
- Nobuaki Koga, President
- Ichiro Fujimoto, Director General
- Nobuyuki Shintani, Managing Director and General Secretary
- Economy and Society Research Committee.(Standing Committee)
- The Questionnaire Survey on Work and Life of Workers Survey Research Committee. (Standing Committee)
- Research on Issues and Measures toward Further Employment Promotion and Workplace Retention for Disabled Persons and Role of Trade Unions.
- Research on the Acceptance of Foreign Workers and the Formation of an Intercultural Society.
- Research Committee on the Future of Working Time Legislation.
- Research on the Role of Trade Unions in Toward the realization of a gender equality society.
- Research on a Sustainable Society, Economy and Workstyles during Labor Force Decline.(Fair Distribution and Diversity)
- Research on New Lifestyles and Daily Lives in the "Era of the 100-year Lifespan" Long-lived Society.
- Research on the Development of Small and Medium Enterprises, including Business Succession and Improvements in Workers' Working Conditions toward Sustainable Development.
- Research on the Fostering of Human Resources for the Workers' Autonomous Welfare Movement that Performs a Role in Local Communities.
- Research on Information Disclosure as a "Good Company" and Promotion of the Principles for Responsible Investment from Workers' Standpoint.
- Research on Employment and Livelihood Safety Nets under the Spread of Infection of the Novel Coronavirus.